Experts say a healthy lifestyle can help a person prevent & control chronic disease, as such recommend persons follow the 4 basic steps to living a healthy lifestyle. These include:
- Not smoking. The primary goal is to quit smoking but if you are a chronic smoker, everyday try to reduce the number of cigarettes smoked by 1 or 5.
- Eating a Balanced Diet. A balanced diet is one that contain foods from all food groups in the amounts your body need and can use effectively. Start by learning what are the food groups, what is a serving, what is a portion and how much of each food group your body needs daily.
- Controlling body weight. Once a balanced diet is consumed on a consistent basis, the body begins to adjust itself automatically. Meaning, if your body needs to lose weight it will; if you need to gain weight it will; if you are at your ideal weight then your weight will be maintained.
- Getting Physically Active. Physical activity helps keep your heart healthy, metabolism active, strengthen your muscles and boost your immune system. It is recommended persons engage in 30 minutes of moderate exercise a day, 5 days a week. Alternatively, 10 minutes of intense exercise a day, 5 days a week would suffice.
Take a breath and carefully evaluate your life and ask yourself:
- AM I LIVING A HEALTHY LIFE? If NO, then be sure to start with these 4 basic areas.