Thursday, August 9, 2012

Delicious Joanne Fluke's Oatmeal Raisin Cookies


These are the most delicious home-made oatmeal cookies I have ever tasted. I have tried many recipes but this one is by far my favourite. The main difference with this recipe and others is that the oats are grounded into a meal/flour. The oat flour is what gives the cookie a different texture and flavour when compared with cookies made with whole oats. The cookies taste similar to store-bought oatmeal cookies but it is not overly sweet.
The recipe is easy, requires few equipment/utensils, and the cookies bake in 10 minutes or less. Best of all, there is no creaming involved. I hate creaming because it takes too long if you do it by hand and I dislike using the hand mixture. Anyway, the only modifications I did with this recipe includes adding some shredded coconut and using 1/2 cup of butter, 1/2 cup margarine instead of 1 cup of butter. As for the latter, I did that because I did not have enough butter. I did not press down my cookies because I did not want flat cookies. However, some of my cookies came out pale but the majority came out golden brown with a soft, non-chewy texture. The batch that came out pale was on a non-stick cookie sheet which was placed on the bottom shelf in the oven (they baked really fast).

Anyway, here is the original recipe and the video where I saw it being made.
 

This is the full recipe including my modifications
1/2 cup melted butter unsalted 

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup melted margarine

2 teaspoons baking soda

2 cups white sugar

1/2 cup shredded coconut

2 teaspoons vanilla

1 cup raisins 

2 large eggs, beaten

2 1/2 cups Bakers flour

2 cups grounded dry oatmeal
(Measure 2 cups whole oats and pulverise in food processor into a fine meal)
The cookie batter 
  • Preheat oven 375 degrees Fahrenheit and grease 4 cookies sheets
  • Add your melted butter, margarine, sugar, eggs and vanilla in a bowl and mix well. 
  • In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt and baking soda. To this, add in the coconut, grounded oatmeal and raisins, mix well. 
  • Add the butter mixture to the flour mixture and mix well. The batter should be somewhat stiff but moist. 
  • Scoop out the batter and drop an inch apart unto cookie sheets. Since mine was medium sized, my yield was 40 cookies.
  • Let bake for about 10 minutes or until the edges are brown. Remove from oven and place on cooling rack.

Next time I make these, I will be using 1 cup butter, 1/2 cup raisins, 1 cup brown sugar, 3/4 cup white sugar and a 1 teaspoon of molasses.
Side note: You can modify this recipe however you like:- add whole oats on top before baking, add some flax meal, sprinkles, chocolate chips, drizzle some melted chocolate on top, coat the cookie bottoms with chocolate,  replace the sugar with a natural sweetener. Whatever your fancy, just bear in mind some adjustments would modify your outcome.



Related Article:  87 Calorie Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

No comments: