Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Apple 'Chips' are tasty!

I first saw these baked apple treats on Nic's Nutrition last year. However, within recent times multiple variations to this recipe have been popping up all over my social media timeline and feed. Hence the reason I finally decided to give it a try.
Admittedly, slicing the apples using a knife and the wide slots on a box grater was overly time-consuming, as a result I only used 3 out of the 10 apples I planned on using. A side from this, the end result was different but quite tasty considering, I am not a big fan of cooked fruit except for pineapple. The thinly sliced pieces turned out flavourful and crispy, while the thicker pieces were slightly rubbery/chewy but still tasty. They were mildly sweet and gave off a strong apple aroma. Based on how quickly they disappeared, I am sure they would make a great addition to oatmeal, home-made granola, or muesli.

The recipe I used is as follows:
3 small Gala apples,cored, de-seeded, halved and sliced thinly
2 Tbsp Distilled White Vinegar (used this because I did not feel like squeezing lemon over the apple slices)
2 Tbsp Ground Cinnamon

Pre-heat oven to 350 Degrees F. (Some recipes call for lower temperatures but I did not want to wait 2 and 3 hours)
Add apple slices to a deep bowl.
Add in the vinegar and cinnamon and toss slices until well coated.
Place the slices over a baking rack, be sure not to crowd the rack and bake for 1 hour. (I placed a sheet pan/baking tray under the baking rack to collect any drippings from the slices.)
After 1 hour some may be really dark others may be golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool. They become crispy upon cooling.
NB: If they are soft,wet and pale bake for about 30 minutes more or until golden brown.

Apple 'Chips' 
**I used 3 small Gala apples and the end result was 1.50 oz.**
 (Sorry but I only weighed the finished product, I forgot to weigh them before baking.)

Verdict: 
I will try making these again with the help of  the food processor and the slicing blade.

No comments: